A Tall Sassy Gal

southern girl from Alabama living in the Big D

Monday, November 27, 2006

Thanksgiving break

So sad that my favorite holiday is over but it was a good one. B's parents arrived Tuesday night and from then on I was super chef and hostess. Tuesday night I cooked spaghetti and salad for dinner. Then we showed them our pictures from Hawaii and gave them their gifts from Hawaii.

Wednesday we got up and took them to the little Mexican place we love for lunch. The food and service were horrible and it was very disappointing. Then B and his dad went to hit golf balls while us ladies ran a few errands. Last on the list to pick up the cooked turkey. That night we grilled BBQ chicken and corn and broccoli. I got some of the Thanksgiving dinner done as well so I would not feel pressured to have it all done in a short time period.

Yes I cooked our whole meal with the exception of the turkey. B was such a big help in the kitchen too after he picked his brother up from the airport that morning.



Here I am smashing the potatoes.



Green bean casserole


Sweet potato casserole


My grandma's cornbread dressing


Mashed potatoes


Onion gravy for the mashed potatoes


Gibblet gravy for the dressing


Vegetable medley


Cajun Fried Turkey


Pecan Pie

We also had Hawaiian sweet rolls, cranberry sauce and Pumpkin Pie. We ate around 1 and just relaxed the rest of the day. I was so super exhausted from cooking and standing on my feet for so long. I got to use 4 of my pampered chef stoneware pieces and the cranberry color just looked so good all set out.

Then on Black Friday B and I were up at 430 to be at Wal-Mart at 5am. We raced to get a 20inch flat screen TV for 68 bucks. We wanted another TV so we could put my old TV in the other bedroom. You will never believe where the TV's were hidden, in the meat department. Then we brought the TV home and raced to Target and stood in line till they opened at 6am. We were after the 19inch flat panel LCD TV for 180 bucks. We were able to get one of the last ones. Then we took it home and headed to the mall and a few other places. We found a few things and a got a few gifts for people. We left the mall around around 1030 so B could watch the A&M game where they beat Texas. We decided to give the 20inch to his parents b/c they wanted a bigger TV for their bedroom. Our flat panel looks so good in our bedroom. It was so much fun going with B everywhere. He really had a good time and since that is what my family does every Black Friday it meant even more that he was doing this with me. That night we grilled hamburgers and went to bed early.

Saturday just ran a few errands and cooked pork chops for dinner. We had his cousin and fiance over for dinner as well. B said I was the best host ever. His parents and brother left Sunday morning after breakfast and we were able to just relax all day. It was a really good time but so exhausting. I told him the cook is off this week. :)

4 Comments:

At Tue Nov 28, 10:37:00 AM , Blogger Alyssa said...

Sounds like you had a good Thanksgiving you little hostest with the mostest! What a great deal on those TV's (JEALOUS!) Love the canberry stoneware. Fiunny you mentioned them in your blog b/c when I saw the pictures I was like wow look at those nice pampered chef cranberry stoneware, and she has so many, they must be knock offs! Glad to hear that they were not!

 
At Tue Nov 28, 09:09:00 PM , Blogger L said...

wow, it certainly does sound like you were an amazing hostess. hope i am someday.

i didn't even realize good deals like that were out there to be had. sounds like i'm missing out on not shopping on black friday.

 
At Wed Nov 29, 08:41:00 PM , Blogger my life is brilliant said...

Don't you just love Black Friday? Especially ones where texas loses? :)

 
At Thu Dec 14, 05:34:00 PM , Blogger Mrs. Architect said...

mmmm, i am hungry seeing all these pics!! Will call you sometime this weekend when we figure our plans out!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home