A Tall Sassy Gal

southern girl from Alabama living in the Big D

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

My sister's wedding

Bare with me this will be a long post with lots of pictures too. The wedding took place on March 3, 2007.

I arrived in Alabama late Tuesday night. My sister and my future brother-in-law picked me up. When we got home we stayed up opening the presents they had at the house and it was around 230am before we made it to bed.

Wednesday we started the day at Wal-Mart to buy last minute things for the wedding. We bought food for the spa day my sister had planned. After heading home we waited for my little sister and trekked to Montgomery to do some things for the wedding. It was quite a car ride with many enjoyable laughs. We picked up the wedding programs and headed to the country to look at the car they would drive away in. By the time we got home and ate dinner it was already late. But we packed up the car with the wedding programs and headed to my sister's best friend's house to start putting them together. We got about 2/3 through them and decided to call it a night.

Thursday morning we woke up to severe bad weather. We tried to organize and pack between the lighting and rain. Bridesmaids and groomsmen kept calling because of how bad the weather was and there were driving to Montgomery that night to meet up for the Bachelor and Bachelorette parties. Somehow in the craziness I went across the street to see the neighbors and give them my sympathies. We of course left for Montgomery 2 hrs late thanks to everything. Her fiance and I rode together and bonded even more than we already were. We had to run to Hobby Lobby and Sam's. At Sam's we realized there was no room in his car for anything and we rode with stuff in our laps. We get to the hotel and I have to hurry and shower and couldn't even wash my hair because our reservations were at 8. It was 7. After hurrying to try to get ready the weather picks up and we lose power for 45 mins. We somehow make it to the restaurant before it closed. Both parties ate there but were separate most of the dinner. Here are some pictures from the dinner. And mother was taking shots!!!!! I will not blast her picture on the internet.

My brother-in-law's attire for the evening.

My sister's attire for the evening

I know you can't see our buttons but all the bridesmaid wore them. They said stuff like "virgin", "slut", "drunk" and "bride to be". They were so funny. We drew them out of hat. So you were stuck with whatever for the night.

B and I
Taking shots
The happy couple

After dinner we parted ways but not for too long. The place the girls tried to go to was closed b/c of the weather. Which was sad b/c the men of Playgirl were there. Somehow we ended up where the guys were and it was a good time. My sister had way too much to drink and started falling asleep so it was time to go. We got back to the hotel and I stayed up till I finished everything my sister needed to get done since she was no able to do it. I got about 3 hours asleep but it was well worth it since she was so happy it was all done.
For our bridesmaid's gifts my sister got us a spa day the day before the wedding. We got a 30 min massage, pedicure and manicure. While the people were waiting we sipped on mimosas and bloody mary's and all the food I had prepared. My friend H came all the way from Kansas and she picked the food up at the hotel and brought it to us.


My friend H and her child
After a relaxing day we come back to the hotel and there is no hot water. So again 2 days in a row I barely take a shower. It was horrible. We were so late to rehearsal. My mom and my sister's mother in law had been at their own spa day and did not got back to way late. So everyone was in a rush. The dinner was so good. Then we did speeches where I did very well on the spur of the moment. Of course I cried.
All the bridesmaids

The morning of the wedding my sister was doing just fine. She was not stressed or upset and was just so ready to see what all her hard work had produced. There were a few things that went wrong that we blame the wedding director on: she didn't give enough time for pictures before the wedding so we we rushed before and after, the cake was not cut for guest until most guest were gone and the director left the place for a bit to get her son. My sister was frustrated with all this but said the day really did go well and she had to try not to think about all the crap.

The wedding ceremony was beautiful. It was so pretty out in the gardens. It was decorated just like my sister wanted. My sister took my breath away walking down the aisle. Let's say I did not cry as much as I thought I would. For some reason the first song that was sung got to me. It was Steven Curtis Chapman "I'll Be Here" and then the unity candle got to me. After my sister got back from her honeymoon she said did you hear the dove story. I said what dove story. She said that her and husband have been told by many different people that when the ceremony started 2 white doves sat on the branch above our heads at the altar. They stayed until the ceremony was over. People were asking was it planned. That is so crazy but so cool.
By the time the ceremony was over it was a little chilly. We took pictures in a rush before all the daylight was gone. Then we ate and danced the night away. The band was awesome and I actually caught the bouquet. It was not planned and she didn't even realize she was throwing in my direction. They left the reception at 9 which is early and you will not believe that hardly anyone was left besides their friends and a few family members. The first advice they gave B and I was to do a destination wedding b/c the people you want to be there would be the ones that would stay the whole time. And how you can't even count on family staying the whole time. Isn't that sad. I never leave until the bride and groom leave. It is there day and they asked me to be a part of it. Just sad!
All in all it went really well and they are married. It was wonderful time and I am sure I have left out so much. Here are some pictures from the day. I can't wait to see what the professional photographer took.

Here I am helping her get her dress on


Putting her garter on

The groom's cake in honor him playing tennis all his life and how he proposed to my sister.
Their first dance
Father/daughter dance to " I loved her first"

My parents

My friends that made it to the wedding
Me after catching the bouquet
What they left in(he charged nothing for it)
Bridesmaid's bouquet

3 Comments:

At Thu Mar 22, 10:04:00 AM , Blogger my life is brilliant said...

What great pictures! You and B look great, and I LOVE those bridesmaids dresses. And the bouquets? Gorgeous! (Yellow is my favorite!)

Sounds like a crazy busy weekend, but it sounds like everything went well. I can't believe the doves! How awesome! I hope the photographers managed to get them in a picture.

And congrats on catching the bouquet!! Now let's get moving, B! ;)

We totally need to get together for drinks soon. :)

 
At Fri Mar 30, 01:36:00 PM , Blogger L said...

Great pictures! I absolutely love the green dresses. And the flowers!! So did she have ten bridesmaids? That is how many my best friend is having, and I told her she's crazy, but maybe that is becoming more normal. Guess it can't be a bad thing to have lots of great friends. :)

 
At Mon Apr 09, 06:51:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, her veil is gorgeous. Know what else is gorgeous? The guy standing with the groom in the first photo. Hook me up! ;) I love that car, too. She had such a stylish wedding.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home