A Tall Sassy Gal

southern girl from Alabama living in the Big D

Monday, April 09, 2007

Camping

Our camping adventure summed up in one word….COLD!

We met up with B’s parents Thursday night in Ft. Stockton at the hotel. The drive there was not too bad at all. I watched one of the 4 movies I rented (The Illusionist not a bad movie in my opinion but I never really wanted to watch so I had no expectation about it) and talked to my honey about a million things.

Friday morning we got up and ate breakfast in the hotel and headed to Ft. Davis. We got there and started putting up our tents and getting everything organized. Ate a quick tuna lunch and headed out to explore. We drove all around the area and saw deer and antelopes. When we got back to camp it was getting colder. B started the shrimp kabobs and his mom made potatoes to throw on the grill. I also cooked some lemons on the grill which I highly recommend if you like lemons. By the time dinner was over we were all freezing and ready to get in the tent. It was not even completely dark yet. Once I got under the covers and we had a camping heater turned on I was not that cold. I could tell it was still freezing but the warmth was making it bearable. B and I turned on another movie I had rented and watched that. (Blood Diamond which I highly recommend). When it was over we ran to the bathrooms one more time and tried to get some sleep. We slept literally right on top of each to make sure we stayed warm. Throughout the night I kept hearing rain and wouldn’t you know we had ice on our tent in the morning. The temps were in the 20s and it was snowing, sleeting, raining and icing all morning.

We decided to head to town instead of cook breakfast and do some things until it warmed up. B and I still wanted to go hiking. We visited a town that his parents lived in the first years of the marriage while his dad worked for the government and drove by their old houses. Then we went to a winery for some tasting and eventually bought a few bottles. While we are out doing this it is still snowing, sleeting, raining and icing. Some of the roads were pretty bad. But we still had hope things we get better. We got back to camp at lunch and his mom and I sat in the car while B and his dad cooked lunch. We decided to do our steaks then b/c we were not sure what dinner would look like. At one point I got out of the car to help and B said start packing we are leaving after lunch. Hallelujah! I am sad we cut the trip short but we would have been miserable since we couldn’t do anything b/c it was so cold. We eventually ate and just threw everything in the truck and left. We got home late Saturday night. We are so disappointed the weather turned so ugly but we at least know the drive is not that bad to do again on another 3 day weekend.

Sunday we slept in b/c we were so tired. Then we unloaded the truck. We had to clean the tent up completely and repack all our camping stuff correctly. So it kinda was good that we had all day to get things done instead of having to do it all last night in a short time period. We even vacuumed the truck out b/c it was so dirty. I was embarrassed to turn it back in the rental place. I even was able to start on the laundry. We finished the last 2 movies Happy Feet (cute) and The Holiday (very cute). We even made an impromptu trip to the grocery store and got meals for the week. I hope everyone had a Happy Easter.

Campsite


Deer


Antelope


Grilling


Yummy kabobs


snow and ice


snow and ice on the mountains

1 Comments:

At Thu Apr 12, 06:05:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even though it was cold, it sounds like you still had fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home