My wild crazy trip to Florida
So last week my work sent me to sunny Florida. Which was awesome from so many reasons. First off it was great weather, second I got to see my close friend that works for the same company I do, and third I got to see my sister since she lives in South Florida only 3 hours from where Jacksonville.
But it was a wild trip....my boss and I took the last flight out on Monday night. Well of course this was the night of the first down pour of the week in DFW area. We were originally supposed to land at 1130 Florida time but landed at 1245 Florida time. By the time we got our bags and the rental car and made it to the hotel it was almost 2am.
I was able to see my friend every night I was there. We would eat dinner together and then walk her dogs. It was good to exercise with someone while I am on the road. 3 of the days while I was there she was at work so we were able to spend a lot more time together.
On Wednesday my sister was going to be driving through to meet my mother and little sister in Tallahassee to get the rest of her stuff. She planned on coming back and staying the night with me. As she is driving she calls me to tell me my mother and little sister were in a car wreck halfway to meet up with her. We are so thankful they are both alive and did not suffer severe injuries. My mother is still really sore but it was mainly on her side. The car is probably going to be totaled by insurance. All I could think about is my poor baby sister and how hard actually being in the car accident this time would be for her still dealing with her friends death. I just hated being closer than I usually am and still couldn't be there. So my other sister drove all the way to them to get her stuff. My dad drove from where he was to take care of everything and take them home. My sister got to me late that night but we still were able to catch up. We stayed up very late talking about everything from wedding stuff we never talked about to married life to planning our trip there for Memorial Day. It was so great to see her.
On Friday we go into work and my boss gets a call from our travel agent. She informs us she thinks our flight will be canceled that night since DFW was still recovering from the night before with 300 flights being canceled and more bad weather was on the way. She booked us on another airline and told us to try to go standby. So we raced to the airport and could not get on anything. Our luggage however left without us to ensure it made it there. We decided we would just see which airline left first and go on that one. Needless to say we sat in the airport for almost 6 hours. Thank goodness for free internet and alcohol. Finally our original flight was canceled and we held our breaths for the second flight. It was all good and we left. We had a layover in Houston for awhile since the weather was still bad. After finally leaving Houston, I swear that was the longest flight ever to Dallas. I think we did a lot of circling to avoid the weather. When we finally landed the airport was chaos. Our luggage was there and so was B. A very frustrated B because they told him we would land 45 mins ago and he is sitting in the car burning gas with all the other people out there. Now here is the best part we still had to go the other airport to get our cars. It was 1am before we finally go home. What a trip!

2 Comments:
How fun you got to meet outside oklahoma! Can't wait to hear your recount too :) .
What a long trip home! That weather was something last week, and I think that was the worst of it on Friday. My parents got stuck in it on Thursday in Houston!
What a crazy trip! I sure hope nothing like that happens to me this weekend. I'm sorry to hear about your mom and sister's accident. Glad they're not hurt, but that can really shake you up.
That Billy Bob's looks like a cool place!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home