A Tall Sassy Gal

southern girl from Alabama living in the Big D

Saturday, August 02, 2008

I am officially Mrs. S

According to the social security office and the DMV. Thursday I finally decided it was time to go officially change my name. I needed to do this now that I don't have any plane tickets booked. Well I get to the SS office and start to freak out. I got that horrible anxious feeling in my stomach. This is a huge deal I tell myself. I am not less married if I don't do this but I have never thought about not doing it. For 28 years I have had the same name. It is who everyone knows me by. Thank goodness OO called me because she had the same feeling when she changed her name. All in all I was in and out in 20 minutes. And the guy doing it I don't think realized what a huge deal this was for me. I need a moment about this. I got back to work and still just felt weird. B thinks I am crazy and if I didn't want to do it he would have supported me. Like I said I have never thought about not doing it. Then on Friday I applied for my new license so the ball is rolling now with the name changing. It still feels weird and until I actually have to sign with it and stare at it on something, then it will probably be real. Now the long process of changing everything else. And I should have my new SS card in 2 week and my new license in 4 weeks. I decided to drop my middle name which was my dad's name. So my maiden name is my new middle name. And now when people call me Mrs. S I have to stop looking for my mother in law and realize that is me.

2 Comments:

At Sat Aug 02, 05:46:00 PM , Blogger Pink Sun Drops said...

You know I never thought about it either until I heard about Allison adding on her name instead of changing it. Now that I think about it I may've done something similar, or not changed it at all. It might get confusing with kids in school but I think a lot of people deal with that already any way.

 
At Mon Aug 04, 10:19:00 AM , Blogger my life is brilliant said...

I hope you're feeling better about it now. It really is a big change!

If we continue to go through this the same way, then you'll make peace with it and wind up liking it quite a bit. I'm still not quite used to being called Mrs. G, but I'm sure I'll be there someday.

After all, we'll be Mrs. G and Mrs. S for the rest of our lives!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home